Sunday, June 22, 2008

What am I digging at?

“...
Run rabbit run,
Dig that hole
Get the sun
When at last
Your work is done
Don't sit down
Its time to dig another one
...” - Roger Waters



I went with the 8th standard kids to dig mud from a nearby tank bed. We have clay activity in the school where children make things out of clay and we needed mud for that. Our school correspondent drove the tractor and we all sat in the trailor. The aim was to get one load of the trailor. It was back-breaking work and after almost 2 hours of work we decided what we had loaded was enough. While we were digging an old man (in his fifties) came with a bullock cart to fill it with mud. He was digging for a family of potters who live in Adhiyamankottai. When we chatted with him he said he would get 200 Rs a load. I couldn't help wonder, may be it would be better for me to work in Infosys and pay this guy his 200 Rs for the load. By doing his work am I denying him a livelihood opportunity? Since I am trained and capable (hopefully) of doing IT work, should I be doing that instead of digging holes? I was not terribly happy doing IT and I am not terribly happy digging holes? May be I should just twiddle my toes...

No comments: