Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Time – The Importance of Being Lazy

“… And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
Sun is the same in a relative way but you are older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time….”

- Roger Waters, Time

It was a glorious weekend in the London and we spent it most appropriately by doing nothing. A casual stroll along the Thames to Kingston, a heavy brunch at Gourmet Burger Kitchen, saunter back home and a long afternoon snooze. It was a perfect Saturday. On Sunday, glorious again, we walked all the way to Richmond Park and felt very martyred and had a softy ice-cream cone (it has really been eons since I have had one). The lazy weekend left me wondering about time and its value. In the current “go-go” culture one feels obliged to sound apologetic if the weekend plan is nothing!

I am totally enjoying this break. Doing nothing in general and giving myself time to think, ponder and mull over utterly insignificant stuff by which time it is time to go back to bed. Ah, seems perfect. Also, it gives me great opportunity to spend similar hours with Madhavi. We have not had these moments ever since she started working again 6 years back. She had taken a break when were in California and the time we used to spend with each other then was great! She used to finish all the house work by the time I was back from office and we would go biking on those long summer days. Now the roles have reversed and it is nice once again. I feel even more relaxed as my time is completely under my control.

My dad retired when I was in my 12th standard. My mom continued to work for another 3 years and then retired. They had only one year of relaxed time together before my dad died. Why do we waste this precious time and postpone the relaxation part to an uncertain end? Should we be enjoying life when we are in good health rather than wait for old age when we cannot take it for granted?

It is not just the time available for relaxation or vacation. The very definition of vacation seems to be changing to add pressure and not reduce it. This work-hard-play-hard stuff makes even vacations appear like work. I remember my dad spent most of his retirement sitting next to our front room window with folded arms watching the world go by. The peace and contentment he exuded is something I aspire to achieve. There is this Tamil saying “Summa iruppade sugam”, which translates to “Bliss, it is just hanging out”!

3 comments:

Ludwig said...

> It was a glorious weekend in the
> London and we spent it most
> appropriately by doing nothing.

My worst nightmares are starting to come true... *chuckle*

An appropriate time to bring up The Slow Life movement again...

Melli said...

I can see that you are really enjoying yourself :-)

Blessed are we those of us who have financial luxury to do this at some point in life .....

Melli

Anonymous said...

The weekend before Columbus Day was truly relaxing. As i didn't have much homework in all the subjects, I spent my time reading lots and lots of books from my school's library. I wouldn't have got so much time to do what I like in India. We would have so much homework even if there was one extra day holiday. Columbus Day which is on a Monday is a school holiday and we got only about 1 and a half hours homework totally!