Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Annapurna Base Camp Trek - Part III

May 3rd 2011 – Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani

Summary – Altitude gain 1340m (tough day). A steep flight of steps from Tikhedhunga to Ulleri. Gradual climb from Ulleri to Ban Thanti. Steep climb on rocks and steps from Ban Thanti to Ghorepani.

We had a lazy morning and a 3rd look at the ACAP menu made us decide that we should cook our own breakfast. We asked for permission to enter the kitchen and made egg burji. By the time we finished cooking and eating breakfast, it was around 8. The skies had cleared and there was bright sunshine. All through the trip, I was tired and went to bed by 8 at night. Thanks to the new Kindle that I had bought, I always had some reading material before I dozed off. Since I slept early I got up early too by 4:30 or so and was ready to hear the bird calls. But that never made me get out of bed, I would snuggle in the sleeping bag till 6 and then get up and get ready.

In any case, we left Tikhedhunga and we immediately crossed Bhurungdi Khola and started climbing, climbing and climbing. It seemed like a stairway to heaven or rather hell. It was all steps, endless and relentless. The climb was to a village named Ulleri (2020m) and it was the first serious climb in our trip and my legs and lungs were not used to such an assault. It was just 500 meters of climbing and we did it in 1.5 hours or so. The only relief was the first glimpse of Annapurna South (7219m) from the final approach to Ulleri.





Ulleri is a nice village on a ridge with good views and nice tea shops. We had nimbu pani to refresh ourselves and I also bought two bracelets from the shop on the top. I don't think there are very many Indian trekkers on this route and so most of the shop keepers were quite interested in knowing where we were from. Mumbai is always associated with Bollywood (or should I say The Hindi Film Industry?) and my companions were asked if they had met Kajol or Salman Khan. Bengaluru somehow seems to convey to them a very developed city where everyone is a scientist. I did not try too hard to persuade them otherwise. Ulleri also has a primary school and it did not help my self-esteem to see so many tiny tots scrambling up the steps for their morning classes. The high school is in Tikhedhunga and the older kids were waltzing down the steps. Some enthu, I say. I was curious to go inside the school but better sense prevailed and I let go of the thought.


After 30 minutes of “Shavasana” in Ulleri we set off for our next lunch stop at Ban Thanti (2210). The climb was easier and gradual and we had a leisurely walk. We walked mainly throughly step cultivated fields and small settlements. We had a long lunch in Ban Thanti. The tea houses start preparing lunch after you order them, so it takes a while. This worked well for me as it gave me time to laze around and recoup from the morning activity. Most of these villages were clean and cute. The ACAP has done an amazing job in keeping them tourist friendly. It must have been around 1 pm when we started from Ban Thanti. Now the climb was getting steep again through a rhododendron forest. There were either steps or rocks. The sky closed in again and there was thunder. I was reminded of our previous evening hail and Zubin and I hastened to reach our final destination Ghorepani. We had to climb another 600m for the day and it seemed a lot. I had taken out my jacket and covered myself and the day pack with a poncho. This made the heat inside unbearable and I was sweating profusely. But the thought of another thunder storm made me climb very fast and continuously. We stopped for a quick breather in Nangga Thanti and continued up, up and up. The forests were thick and there were lot of streams and tiny waterfalls, but the idea of dipping was not appealing since the water was coooold. By the time we reached the suburbs of Ghorepani big droplets of rain was falling. We had to climb another infernal flight of steps to reach downtown Ghorepani and we checked-in into the Hungry Eye Guest House and Restaurant. The threat of rain had made me climb faster even than Narayan and it was worthwhile since we narrowly missed a heavy downpour. I was pooped and I suspected that I had pulled something in my left knee. But we were warm next to a fire, indoors and I postponed my worries for the next day. The only other guest in the guest house was a German girl who had just finished her medical college and was in Kathmandu for a few months. Her guide and porter was a good friend of Mahesh and so they happily chatted away. The guest house had fantastic views of the mountains which we could see when the clouds occasionally cleared up. There was fresh snow piled up on the high peaks and the lower slopes were glittering with hail. We were glad that we were indoors.

Ghorepani is actually a diversion from the main ABC trail. We had climbed up here to go to Poon Hill from where we could also get a view of Dhaulagiri. The idea was to see the first sun rays on Dhaulagiri and Annapurna range. People who know me well would understand how much I detest sunrises. I hate getting up early in the morning, but the enthusiasm around me was infectious and in any case I was getting up around 4:30 so I decided I would join them on the climb to Poon Hill for the sunrise views. I had a light dinner of noodle soup and went to bed after a hot shower.

4 comments:

Anita said...

Aaaah steps :) The trick to climbing the steps we figured during our Inca trail hike to Macchu Picchu was to go zig-zag, zig zag along the steps. Although initially it seemed that it would be a foolish idea, it actually made it extremely easy for us to climb those crazy steps that the Inca's built in those days!

Anonymous said...

Agree totally with AB.

Zigzagging was found very efffective by me while doing 4 hour climbs on Tirupati.

The total weight was more than a century of out which self was more than 99% of it-add factors like a weak back and knees to top it off.

Please view it from a climbing perspective alone.

Anonymous said...

Additional information

That Tirupati climb was in 2009

Some 5/6 years before it,when Ram and Swami had taken me for a beginners walk up some Thittu near Blore, i came down the hill (which must be just a bit more than St.Thomas Mount,Chennai) by bus due to exhaustion.

Does it mean my stamina had increased not) some Kilos and growing older by about 6/7 years??!!!

Last December i played a full 30 over match with of course more weight but with no substitute and did bat,bowl and also did a stunning runout on quite a nasty wicket.

Keep writing Ram, it gives me confidence that i can now aim for higher peaks of ground level endurance tests.

Unknown said...

Annapurna Sanctuary Trek or Annapurna base camp trek
Annapurna Base Camp is one of the best treks of Nepal as it is the combination of splendid natural scenery with the blend of cultures. The major attractions of this place are the Annapurna Himal including Himchuli, Annapurna South, Annapurna, Annapurna II, Annapurna III and Machhapuchhre and many more.
The terraced farmland above Pokhara and the pastures, the deep forests of oak, bamboo and rhododendron provides an alluring sensation. The view of Dhaulagiri and Kali Gandaki is even more appealing. The visit to the inner sanctuary of Annapurna gives you the panoramic views of ten peaks over 6000m. The Natural hot spring at Jhinudanda is quite relaxing.
The ABC is suitable for any trekker who has enough stamina to walk few hours a day. Previous trekking experience is not necessary and one does not need to be super fit. Daily exercise prior to the trip is strongly recommended. February to June and September to December is the favorable time to enjoy this trek.
Trip Facts


http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/Annapurna-Sanctuary-Trek.php
http://www.hikehimalayas.com/trekking-in-nepal/trekking-region/annapurna-region/annapurna-sanctuary-trek.html
http://www.nepalguideinfo.com
Email-:sanjib-adhikari@hotmail.com
Myfacebook: https://www.facebook.com/sanjib.adhikari