Monday, November 26, 2007

Maximum City

The taxi and auto drivers in Mumbai have always amazed me. Unlike other cities they are extremely professional. You can get an auto or taxi anytime without any fuss (except, of course, at the railways station and airports where they act up). I had come late from TISS, as late as 1 at night, and all I had to do was tell the taxi driver where I needed to be dropped off. Being conditioned by Bangalore and Chennai I am always taken by surprise and still I don't accept it and I am expecting an unreasonable demand at the drop off point. But the driver just checks his rate card (for night rates) and the amount is paid.
The last couple of days I have had my experience further heightened. Kidwai Nagar, where I stay with my mom-in-law has a lot of taxies. This week two times I did not have change for 100 Rs. So, the first time I told the driver that I will pay him hundred and collect the change later. He was puzzled but accepted. The next day morning I collected the change from him. Today the same thing happened and instead the driver took my phone number. Later this evening he called my phone and asked me to come down and collect the change! I had not even bothered to remember his car number or anything. This is the maximum city where you can still trust the taxi wallas!

3 comments:

Ludwig said...

You are kidding, right?

Unknown said...

It is still unbeleivable we hv a place like tht in india.. What will happen to ppl like me who doesn't know hindi.. Similar to wht happens in chennai ??

Ram said...

[ludwig]
No kidding. It is a true!

[hari]
Yo man still around in the same place? Are there people who exist who don't know hindi? In chennai you will be given a free ride if you don't know Hindi, of course...