Friday, September 28, 2007

Muthu - II

For those who have been waiting with baited breath to hear what happened to Muthu, don’t worry..... nothing happened.... his mother just ‘forgot’ about our conversation....ooofff.

Muthu was ‘behaving’ fine for a couple of days before he started his antics once again. Last week I conducted a test (quiz) and made sure there were two sets of question papers so that the children don’t copy. Copying is prevalent and as natural as gravity in this school. I had told the children that the question papers are different and if they tried to copy it not only indicates their nefarious purpose but also exposes their stupidity!

Not so surprising, Muthu had copied two answers from his neighbor. I gave a 0 out of 20 and then while I was distributing the answer sheets, he was busy trying to gouge the eyes out of Maruthi (an extremely bright kid). I just lost it. I guess since the physical route was not available, I had decided to emotionally scar(e) him. I went near him and threatened to fall at his feet and plead with him. I told him that I had exhausted all other avenues of reaching out to him and the only way I can see now is pleading. There was so much emotional drama in the class, all students went “beda saar, beda saar”. Muthu started bawling, if I were he I would have prefered one tight slap...

2 comments:

gb said...

Hi Ram,

I was actually wondering about Muthu since the last time you wrote about him.
Now you have given the kids a story to tell for the rest of their lives :-) Kidding aside, you are a brave trooper and I sincerely applaud your efforts.

-Gayathri

Anonymous said...

Ram,

I was very interested to read how things are going for you in the extremely challenging position you are in. In case you don't remember, I went with you and Ravi to the school one day to observe. I read about Muthu and was reminded of students I have had, and how every time I thought I had the problem solved, the disruptive behavior would eventually return. Keep your chin up, and remember that the kid probably loves you to death! Also, I'm sure that you are having a positive impact on the kids' lives. Hats off to you for managing such a big class! I couldn't do it!

-Amy Huff Shah