Thursday, November 09, 2006

My experiments with teaching - Part I

It is strange that I am getting to teach English in a school. The popular story in my family is how I conversed with my classmate in the school bus when I was in my 2nd standard or something. “You bring ball?” (with an enquiring expression), “I bring ball” (with a proud expression). My family also claimed for the longest time that my English remained at that level and were quite puzzled about how I could successfully court someone through English. In any case the poor students in Chandranagar do not really have a choice. There are 270 students and now there are only 4 teachers. It is just chaos in the school and any additional help in terms of teaching is welcomed with open arms. So I go there everyday to teach English to the 4th standard students. I have two text books (an english alphabet book and an english primer book) which I have to finish my Dec 6 before I start gallivanting again.

Oh boy, where do I start? There are more than 40 students in my class. I guess around 15 or so girls and rest boys. They sit on the floor and even if the room is big they tend to sit tightly close to each other. When one opens a book it usually goes over the next ones lap. These kids are badly malnourished. They are so tiny! The biggest one must be as big nephew who is in the 1st standard. Gosh, but I can’t imagine what it would be like if there were 40 well nourished kids in the room. Their energy levels are very high (except for a couple who seem seriously under nourished, I will have to get them checked out). Many of them have serious problems in concentrating and paying attention. The lack of discipline in this school in legendary (read Rajni’s report). I would really like those who espouse these new-age ideas of teaching to come to this class room and handle these 40 kids. Unless the teacher is someone like Meryl Streep who can hold the attention of any kind of audience spell bound, which I am surely not capable of, there is no way to teach anything to this kind of class without laying down some basic rules. Discipline vs. freedom is something the teacher has to maintain a fine balance. I resorted to time-out by sending the trouble some kid away. But they put on such a sorry face that even the Khumbu ice-fall will melt, but when they get back they start trouble the next minute.

I can give the children all the freedom to do what they want but I am not sure if they would really learn anything at the end of the class.

How do I do to hold the attention of a class of 40 kids without having to behave like Adolf Hitler? Can anyone HELP?

After the second day, I sat with around 8 kids who were either too troublesome in the class or had not learnt much at all separately for an additional hour. One kid seems to have a serious attention deficit but if I work with him one on one he has learnt the stuff. I am quite exhausted after taking one class (45 minutes) and one extra session for these 8 kids (another 30 minutes) and I ready to head back home. How do these teachers manage for the whole day?



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have learnt kannada? (with that enquiry expression!)

~mks

Ram said...

[mks]
Yes, somewhat... can manage

Anonymous said...

"How do these teachers manage for the whole day?"

Trying to recall from my school days, our teachers used to pretty much ignore the handful of troublesome ones. I guess they decided to choose their battles -- atleast they could teach the remaining 30 this way!

As for freedom in classroom: I guess with regards to raising children democracy never works, being a benevolent dictator is a more pragmatic approach. The best teachers I recall were all benevolent dictators, they were so damn good that we never realized it.

I don't know if you learn these things or it just comes to you -- I'd like to think of it as the former. Would a formal course in child management help?

-Gayathri

sbharti said...

Its great that u've leared kannada for teaching rural kids. However, i find there's a mismatch.. may be I'm too young to notice.. I think the problems rural children are facing are more of "funding and management" than quality teachers.. I think they have enough capability that if given opportunities they would do well.. (well plzz dont bring reservation thing here..).. it was good to read the rajni's report as well.. things are changing for good :)

PS : I actually came to post this link but got somewhat distracted from the blog..

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=5219

This link talks about "Transformation in Schools" which I'm sure is more at technical level.. may not be that relevant in our rural context.. but still i hope u'd enjoy a look..

Anonymous said...

Nenu baalu thokandbarthaen
Neenu baalu thokanbharthiya?

You had a friendly Kannadiga neignbor during your childhood and went to a good school where they taught good english

Of course, i havent progressed much from "Anybody bring bat?"

Attempting to get to the grassroots of education is an achievement in itself. You have started off well.

Huddling together seems to be a solution for the hunger-of the stomach and of the brain- there goes my english again ( recently viewed Mouli's Flight 172 in Google video).

What did the kid whom you sent out do later ? Was he related to some local politician.Be careful.

Hitler in class ??!! You? That too as a teacher. Hmmmm....

Recently a teacher in our school was thrown out for slapping a student.

Picture that

Ram said...

Thanks for your comments

[shaurabh]
You can't be further off the mark. Even under a tree if there is an inspiring teacher she would make all the difference. What needs to be addressed first is teacher quality.

[gayathri]
I am quite skeptical about management course in general and to top it I am almost certain child management cannot be 'taught' :)

[shyam]
maintaining discipline and slapping a child are very different things. Corporal punishment is now illegal in India. But timeouts (sending the kid off) is probably the least hurtful way... Are there better ways? Please suggest...

Anonymous said...

I love to read about your experience as a teacher. Please keep writing. It is very interesting to know the the difficulties the teacher faces during class. I will make it a point not to give my teachers trouble.